Monday, October 13, 2008

Nutrition

Other endurance athletes love to ask (and talk) about nutrition. What’s your nutrition plan? How did your nutrition go? Other non-endurance athletes are more curious as to what Ironman athletes eat to get them through 13+ hours of exercise. So, here it goes – Noel’s nutrition for the day.

Breakfast at 4am: Cereal (granola, Rice Chex) with milk. There might have been a banana. Can’t remember.

Swim start: 10 minutes before swim start I had a Hammer gel.

Bike part I: The first two hours I drank Perpetuem (a Hammer carbohydrate product you mix with water), then switched to Gatorade. Along the way I had two ½ bananas and a bag of Shot blocks. For electrolytes I had 2 Endurolyte (salt/electrolyte) tablets. Or at least I’m pretty sure I did!

Bike part II: I had put another frozen bottle of Perpetuem in my bag which I got at the Hawi turnaround. So again I drank Perpetuem for first two hours, then switched to Gatorade. I had two ½ bars of sorts (one Power bar and the other some sort of nut bar). I had another bag of Shot blocks. A few more Endurolyte tablets and 2 ibuprofen. The ibuprofen didn’t help my foot problems.

Run: Two Hammer gels and copious amount of cola, water, and Gatorade – all over ice. I think I had 4 Endurolyte tablets.

No comments: